Sound Synthesis and Computational Music Composition
Hacking music with both sound synthesis and algorithmic composition, combining experimental music with new technologies. Discovering how coding and music can be combined by prototyping domain-specific languages, enabling self-composed songs with genetic algorithms or re-discovering MIDI controllers to create audio art.
Complex Systems and Artificial Life
Studying the emergence of complex behavior in self-organizing systems, such as artificial life simulations, biochemical experiments o social organisms.
Data Visualization, Digital Art and Visual Explorations
Some of our projects are focused in the development of data visualization tools. Others explore new ways of expression, visual ethnography and photographic/film representation through the use of physical methods, lighting and digital processing. Others are oriented to computer graphics, artificial systems simulation, educational games and generative art.
Constructed Languages and Knowledge Representation
Exploring the intersection of artificial agent-based models with constructed languages and discovering news ways for knowledge representation, conscript development and visual languages design.
- SciArt 2D Simulator: 2D Graphics Engine for agent-based modeling, artificial life and educational games.
- Artificial Intelligence Music Generation: Set of cellular automata with emergent properties for music composition. Each cellular automaton is able to compose its own music based on simple rules, evolving while it plays synthetic instruments in Ableton Live or external devices through MIDI events.
- GAVC: Generative Art and Visual Complexity: This project aims to explore the potential of algorithmic implementations to generate visual art.
- Alda-tabs: Domain Specific Language for Guitar Players in the Java Virtual Machine: A piece of software to help guitar players to “execute” their music notes in the JVM
, compose songs and get audio feedback with basic tab syntax.
- Soundbox: Experimental digital environment for synthetic music creation. Transform your voice or your instrument in a MIDI interface.
- Rhizome Ethnographies: Visual ethnography and multidisciplinary research oriented to the study of social agents and multiculturalism.
- Looking for Identity (complementary to Rhizome Ethnographies). Visual ethnography with a film-making approach to explore multiculturalism and individual/social identity in the context of the U.S.A.
- Bitmind: Decentralized entrepreneurial initiative for the exploration of Open Value Networks (OVN/DAOs) by using blockchain-based technologies.
- xmunch atomspace: Visual tool for the dynamic construction of neural and semantic networks for knowledge representation, reasoning and learning in an abstract space of atoms.
- Links to external resources: We try to update a public list of links and external resources related with the research we do.