Sound Synthesis and Computational Music Composition
Hacking music with both sound synthesis and algorithmic composition, combining experimental music with new technologies. Discovering how coding and music can be combined by prototyping domain-specific languages, enabling self-composed songs with genetic algorithms or re-discovering MIDI controllers to create audio art.
Virtual Reality: Building a Lab in a Distributed Metaverse
During the last year we have been exploring how the SciArt Lab could contribute to the emergence of the distributed metaverse. We had the chance of testing new virtual reality open-source technologies and develop several
WebVR components with a triple goal:
- Create our own immersive experiments in virtual reality for phenomenological and artistic explorations.
- Contribute to the upcoming 3D Web, sharing content and open-source components with the idea of a future distributed metaverse in mind (built on the top of
- Build the facilities of the SciArt Lab in a virtual space, in order to have a place always accessible, independently of our location in the physical world
Complex Systems and Artificial Life
Studying the emergence of complex behavior in self-organizing systems, such as artificial life simulations, biochemical experiments o social organisms.
Data Visualization, Digital Art and Visual Explorations
Some of our projects are focused in the development of data visualization tools. Others explore new ways of expression, visual ethnography and photographic/film representation through the use of physical methods, lighting and digital processing. Others are oriented to computer graphics, artificial systems simulation, educational games and generative art.
Constructed Languages and Knowledge Representation
Exploring the intersection of artificial agent-based models with constructed languages and discovering news ways for knowledge representation, conscript development and visual languages design.
- Artificial Intelligence Music Generation: Set of cellular automata with emergent properties for music composition. Each cellular automaton is able to compose its own music based on simple rules, evolving while it plays synthetic instruments in Ableton Live or external devices through MIDI events.
- SciArt Lab Metaverse components: The potential of
WebVRis amazing. It leads to new opportunities for developers and content creators, fixing the problem of interoperability between three-dimensional environments by bringing the community together around web standards (compatible with any virtual reality hardware and accessible from any web browser). We are creating open-source virtual reality components to be used in our SciArt projects.
- Building a lab in Decentraland: After some of the SciArt Lab Metaverse components were published in Github and Twitter, we were mentioned a couple of times in the Week of A-Frame series (supported by Mozilla). Some weeks later, we were contacted by the team of Decentraland offering support for our project.
Decentraland is one of the most promising projects of the new blockchain-based startup ecosystem. They raised $24 million during their ICO. Forbes wrote an article about them recently, remarking how new economies may emerge very soon in virtual worlds.
Decentraland combines the possibilities of open standards,
WebVRand decentralized technologies within a conceptual and economic framework: shared ownership of the platform.
Right now we are working to build during 2018 the SciArt Lab Metaverse Branch as a district in Decentraland. This will give us a virtual campus to develop our projects in a completely immersive 3D world.
- Bitmind: Decentralized entrepreneurial initiative for the exploration of Open Value Networks (OVN/DAOs) by using blockchain-based technologies.
- xmunch atomspace: Visual tool for the dynamic construction of neural and semantic networks for knowledge representation, reasoning and learning in an abstract space of atoms.
- SciArt 2D Simulator: 2D Graphics Engine for agent-based modeling, artificial life and educational games.
- GAVC: Generative Art and Visual Complexity: This project aims to explore the potential of algorithmic implementations to generate visual art.
- Alda-tabs: Domain Specific Language for Guitar Players in the Java Virtual Machine: A piece of software to help guitar players to “execute” their music notes in the JVM, compose songs and get audio feedback with basic tab syntax.
- Soundbox: Experimental digital environment for synthetic music creation. Transform your voice or your instrument in a MIDI interface.
- Rhizome Ethnographies: Visual ethnography and multidisciplinary research oriented to the study of social agents and multiculturalism.
- Looking for Identity (complementary to Rhizome Ethnographies). Visual ethnography with a film-making approach to explore multiculturalism and individual/social identity in the context of the U.S.A.
- Links to external resources: We try to update a public list of links and external resources related with the research we do.